Environmental Health and Safety Services
ACT Environmental, Inc. services that include the following:
- EPA Certified Asbestos Inspectors
- ASTM Compliant Phase One Environmental Site Assessments
- EPA Certified Lead-Based Paint (LBP) Inspections
- Mold/Microbial Evaluations Performed by CIHs
- Indoor Air Quality Investigations
- Microbial Contamination
- Environmental Assessments and Engineering
As a professional environmental engineering (PE) firm in Tucson, ACT has been operating since 1991. If you would like to learn more about our services and get started, be sure to contact us today.
Industrial hygiene is the science of identification, evaluation & control of health hazards that may arise in workplaces or in the community. OSHA/MSHA establishes the legal criteria which employers must use in protecting employees against health hazards and hazardous materials. ACT assists clients in identifying, evaluating, and controlling these health hazards, with emphasis on developing realistic measures that can feasibly be implemented. Industrial hygiene services include:
- Chemical, physical, and microbial exposures monitoring & control.
- Development of respiratory protection programs.
- Development of hazard communication programs.
- Development of site health and safety plans for hazardous waste remediation sites.
- Ergonomic evaluations caused by repetitive motion.
- Noise, heat, radiation monitoring & control.
- Provide trained, experienced and certified site safety and health officers during site characterization and remediation.
- Compliance audits.
- Design of engineering controls.
- Local exhaust ventilation system design and evaluations.
- Selection of personnel protective equipment.
- Indoor air quality (sick building syndrome) assessments. Indoor air quality problems are often created by building materials, smoking, contaminated heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and inadequate make up air. ACT can characterize health complaints, perform appropriate sampling & assessments, and recommend corrective action.
- Provide expert testimony.
Asbestos Consulting Services:
ACT provides a wide range of Asbestos related services. These services include:
- Asbestos Inspections
- Management plan development
- Abatement specification development
- Abatement oversight
- Operations & maintenance programs
All asbestos related work is performed by experienced EPA AHERA accredited professionals.
Lead-based paint consulting:
EPA and HUD regulations which went into effect in 1996 require persons who perform lead-based paint related work be Federal or State certified personnel. ACT personnel include Federal and State certified lead-based paint Inspectors, Risk Assessors, Project Designers and Project Monitors.
Lead-Based Paint Risk Assessments
Lead based paint risk assessments can include full risk assessments or risk screen assessments in accordance with HUD guidelines. Risk assessments can be used to supplement previous lead-based paint inspections or they can be used to assess risks in buildings when a lead-based paint inspection is not available. Risk assessments and risk screen assessments are performed by ACT personnel who are Federal or State certified Risk Assessors.
Microbiological organisms such as bacteria and fungi are naturally occurring in all parts of the world. Under certain circumstances, these organisms can proliferate inside buildings. These organisms can produce allergic responses to some degree in humans. These organisms are also capable of producing potent endotoxins and mycotoxins. ACT provides the following services relating to microbiological contaminants.
Contaminant evaluation including surface and airborne contamination investigation. This includes identification of contaminants including species/genus of the organisms.
Source identification including nutrient and moisture source identification, ventilation system evaluation, and outside entrainment.
Remedial design, including removal of contamination, disinfection and preventative measures in areas with microbiological contamination.
Post-flood evaluations including action plan development to prevent microbiological growth following floods inside buildings.
Environmental Assessments & Environmental Engineering:
The rules of landowner and lender liability are stated in the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA). When purchasing contaminated land, new owners may be liable for the cleanup cost. As a result of CERCLA, most commercial property transactions include environmental assessments. ACT can provide various environmental assessments.
Environmental Engineering Services include air permit compliance testing, phase II environmental site assessments and radon sampling and mitigation consulting.